Welcome to Arlington County’s Trade Name Registration site.
Trade name registration is required when a business plans to operate in Arlington County under an assumed name. If the company is not incorporated in Virginia, registration with the State Corporation Commission as a foreign corporation is required prior to trade name registration.
Opening a New Business in Arlington County: Guide to License & Tax Requirements
Tax and License Requirements: A Guide for Opening a New Business in the City of Falls Church
Search Registered Trade Names
APPLICATION IN PERSON:
APPLICATION BY MAIL:
- Complete the application online or come to the Office of the Commissioner of Revenue (COR), Suite 208, for assistance in filling out the application.
- Visit the COR’s office for free notarization of the business owner signature. Be sure to bring
your ID. You may also print the completed application and have the owner signature notarized before coming to the COR.
- A $10 fee is required to register or dissolve a trade name.
- Complete the application online; follow the instructions to print the application.
- Have the owner signature notarized.
- Mail the completed and notarized application to the COR along with a check for $10.00, made payable to Treasurer, Arlington County.
- Corporations and Limited Liability Companies receive one free certified copy of the trade name registration. For each additional certified copy there is a $2.50 fee. Please send a separate check made payable to Clerk of the Circuit Court for any additional copies.
Click here for the Application to Register or Dissolve a Trade Name
The address of the COR is:
Commissioner of Revenue
Business Tax Division
2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 208
Arlington, VA 22201-5403
Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Applicants registering a trade name may search previously recorded trade names to avoid the possibility of recording an exact or similar name to one already recorded. Applicants revoking a previously recorded trade name may find it beneficial to look up the trade name previously recorded (either by trade name or business owner/registered agent) to ensure the revocation is accurate.
Search tips are available by clicking the Search Registered Trade Names button above.